Monday, October 21, 2013

Mankato Half Marathon

IMG_0444half3

The day began at 6am with a protein bar and some energy gel.  It ended with a feeling of accomplishment, a full belly from a celebration meal with my running buddies and some stiff legs.  The stuff in between is just details.

Unfortunately, the weather wasn’t the best (light drizzle) but the temperature was decent.  I totally forgot that the roads were going to be closed off around the start line since the 10k would have already started, so we had a hairy start.  The lines for the bathrooms were incredibly long and I couldn’t find my friends or the pacer I was looking for.  I told my dad while waiting in line for the biffy that I didn’t think I could run it without them (I’m not nearly as mentally tough as I was last year, nor am I in the same condition.)  Somehow, I managed to run it all and do better than expected.  Granted, I’ll never run a 1:55 half marathon again, but my foot is different now, so I need to accept it and be proud of what I CAN do.  Which is a hell of a lot!

half2halffinish

Official Time: 2:15

1235334_10202263266405808_86196310_n

My best running friends!! Thanks to Gretchen for all those training runs (and Jamie even drove down from the cities to run with us once!!!)  They were only a couple of minutes behind me, but I just couldn’t find them.

half1

dad half

Don’t worry Sport Pix, you’ll get your ca$h.  This is actually a good photo of us.  My Dad kicked my butt by one whole minute! Way to go, Dad!

IMG_0454IMG_0457

Thanks to my family for running around like crazy people trying to cheer me on!!  I saw them twice (and missed them a couple more times.)  Kevin was using my iPad to track me (since I run with my iPhone for music and my ipad & iphone are on the same apple id, etc etc crazy technological stuff involving portable hotspots and GPS signals,) but I ended up being faster than the signal updated and they didn’t make it in time twice.  Oh well.  When I saw them at mile 11 in Sibley Park, I really needed that hug that Jack gave me.  I was choked up for about a  block afterward.  All in all, it was a good day! Unfortunately, I paid the price for about a week afterward with Bronchitis and a sinus infection.

1 comment:

  1. Misty you done a fantastic job and I am very proud of you.
    I love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete