Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A KEYC field trip

IMG_1734IMG_1750

Lauren’s class has been studying weather and with the connections of one of the students (whose father works for KEYC) they were able to secure a field trip to the weather center and watch a midday newscast being filmed live.  When I got the email asking for two chaperones, I literally jumped at the opportunity.  Coming from radio and knowing what it’s like “behind the curtain,” I was extremely excited to see how the news works as well.  Truth be told, I’ve always been fascinated by it, and probably should have went into mass comm (but hey, I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up!) So, the day finally came (after a weather cancellation) and we walked over to KEYC for the grand tour.

 

Here they are in front of the green screen.  You can see the tv monitors on the side so that the meteorologist knows where to point at their graphics on the screen.

IMG_1752

Here is what you see when they are standing in front of the green screen.  Luckily nobody was wearing green (or the graphic would have shown up and they would be transparent.)

IMG_1755

Here is Jack, the meteorologist in the “weather center.”  I was shocked at just how close the weather center is to the anchor desk.  It kind of makes “Lets take it over to Jack in the weather center” and “back to you in the newsroom” a bit of a  joke.  It was also interesting to see some of the remnants of yester-year there.  I’m not sure how long they’ve been in their current studio, but I think it’s quite awhile by the looks of things.  I should have taken pictures of some of the stuff.  You can see one of the antique looking speakers on the wall up high in this one.

IMG_1761IMG_1764

Here is a great example of the green screen.  A couple of the kids had green on their jackets and you can see the image projected onto their bodies where the green stripes and arms are.  Quite a neat effect!  Overall, it was a very fun field trip and I’m completely jealous of the news anchor, it looks to be a very fun job.

No comments:

Post a Comment